Thursday, July 10, 2014

Imagination Doorways with 2nd Grade



When I was in early elementary school, I would have fun doodling (like any creative child), and I especially enjoyed making houses, doorways, and open windows with my notebooks.  On the first page, I would draw the outside of the house with detailed shutters that opened and doorways with arches.  I would use my pen to press through the paper and open the flaps.  On the next page in the notebook, I would draw what was inside the house with detailed bedrooms and other rooms inside the house.  

While I was planning my lessons one year, I was reminiscing on what I liked making in elementary school, and I came across one of my old notebooks with the drawings.  I thought if I enjoyed doing it so much, maybe my students would!  

This is a nice simple project that requires few materials and plenty of imagination.  When I introduced this project to the 2nd graders, I used the Chronicles of Narnia (Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe) as inspiration for the project.  My question to the students was: If you came across an imaginary doorway, what would be on the other side?

Materials
-9" x 12" white drawing paper
-pencils
-black markers
-colored pencils
-crayons
-rulers
-glue

Objectives
Students are to create their own doorway which reveals another world on the other side.  The doorway should reflect what the world may be, showing details to give us clues.

This project takes around two 40 minute class periods.  The first day is for the introduction and drawing of the door.  Students should draw a doorway, steps, trim, and an archway with details.  I like to have them trace to see the details more clearly.  After their first class, I begin cutting open the doors for them, so they are ready for the next part for the following class.  On the second day, I explain how to glue another piece of white paper to the back, then how to fill the inside space with their imaginary world.

There are times I get students attempting to draw a simple stick figure, so giving good examples will help students who need additional guidance on what to draw.

Here are some finished examples!










No comments:

Post a Comment