One day, I finally got tired of finding dried out un-capped markers, broken pencils, and unwashed paint brushes all over the place. When I had my cart, I didn't have this much of an issue! I decided to create an "art material gravesite" for all the neglected materials in my room.
After creating the box, I started filling up fast. Within a week, the box was half-way full. I then started to show the students the broken materials collected and explained how much material is wasted when items are not cleaned properly. Needless to say, after that week of sharing the box with students, they have been taking better care of the materials! I still get those few students that don't wash things or cap them properly, but more students are checking materials properly before putting them away. So overall, the gravesite has been a positive addition to our room and broken materials have been fewer and fewer each day!